Friday 16 July 2010

Personality change,is it permanent?

I had this friend at high school that was highly energetic, outgoing, spontaneous and very loud. She was so loud that I could hear her from the far end of the corridor and our classroom was at the other end. She was so spontaneous and daring that she once jumped into the pool fully dressed in the school uniform, (& told the teachers that she simply slipped: D)

2 years ago I met her at the university campus by chance –we’re not really close friends- . What I saw was a whole different person. She was quiet, calm, very descent in her talking, asking how I was and talking in such a formal way that has gotten me laughing so hard from the inside. I couldn’t help but ask, “What happened to you? This isn’t you” She said” I was wrong all along, God forgive me, I was so stupid and reckless, but Thank God now I’m a better, more serene person” -oh and her voice has become so low, I had to come so close to her to hear her-.…okay, Fine by me, I wasn’t for any of the extremes myself, but then again I’m not into the extreme quietness and hiding myself in a shell.

So she’s been like that now for like, 4 years…a 180 degrees transformation.A few weeks ago I get an invitation to her Henna Night –night before marriage were girls celebrate, blah blah boring stuff that I always try to wiggle out and not attend- This time though, I was eager to go and see what she’ll do, cuz they usually go really wild that night, and I didn’t expect her to do anything. Not now, that’s she’s changed. I was wrong!!

I went; it was held at her house, were she had gotten a D.J with all the equipment and stuff –AT HER HOUSE- and she have gone really wild. As if 4 years of harnessed energy has been unleashed. She danced in costumes of several regions, Hawaii, Arabian belly dancing, Gypsy, Spanish, Hip-hop, and Nubian. She got 3 ladies that wore customs as she did and danced in the background. She was dancing so dynamically that her hair was all wet & damp.

Why am I writing this, well does a person manage to make a life time change in their personality or will they always have their old selves still within them struggling to surface out at any given opportunity ?

2 comments:

  1. We all allow ourselves to let loose occasionally, so I wouldn't think anything of this one night.

    It is very possible to change personality completely, depending on what caused it. If somebody is frivolous and shallow their entire life, something truly tragic might happen to totally change and become introspective and quiet.

    That's just one example, though. It would be interesting to know what happened with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm,I think you're right with that example you mentioned.
    I am also very keen to know how she's like now!! She's still honeymooning though and we haven't had much contact, will update you as soon as I know :)

    ReplyDelete