Friday 30 July 2010

Summer Schools’ Peace Camp

My second time to experience being a trainer/activator/teacher. or whatever they wanna call it! Along with a partner, we were responsible for 20-30 kids for 3 days. Well first we were a group of volunteers targeting 5 public schools with 60 students in each age 12 to 15. Volunteers were divided into teams of 4 or 5 for each school. Then we were paired.

It was more of a workshop than a camp, we made some activities for the kids to help them 1-know more about themselves and their personalities 2-learn to appreciate people surrounding them in their lives 3- learn how to solve problems they have with people by peaceful non-violent means.

It was so much fun, I discovered that I liked working with kids :D I also found out that a lot of kids at his age –especially those in public schools- are very much in need to talk and express their views, also they were all complaining that they have low self confidence! One girl told me that she felt self conscious while walking in the street around college students, and felt everyone stare and think “oh you’re such a kid!!”, oh my! So I prepared some extra stuff and quizzes to do with them to help them build up their confidence and self esteem, which they enjoyed so much, and that made me feel very proud =)!

This Peace camp is part of .“The Suzanne Mubarak Women’s International Peace Movement”


Why is it different this year?? Well, the First Lady, Mrs. Mubarak has asked to hold a meeting with the volunteer trainers...Tomorrow!! Well, I’m not the type of person who usually goes to meetings with the President’s Wife!!! So this is HUGE for me!! I’ve never even met our Governor.. Not even our College Dean!! And here I am, skipping these steps and heading straight to the First Lady!!

I wonder though why she didn’t do anything before, this is the 5th year that the Peace Camp is held, and no one ever bothered to talk to the volunteers after the camps were through! This should be interesting!

Only thing is, we were asked to dress formal, I hate formal!! Oh, and no mobiles and cameras are allowed!!

2 comments:

  1. How cool is that??!!... Meeting such an important lady and all... I'm with you on the formal though- Formal sucks. I attended a wedding last weekend. Wedding = formal = me + pukeness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, good equation :D
    I try to skip weddings if it's possible. This summer I've skipped 3 weddings so far..I totally hate them !!

    ReplyDelete