Friday 24 September 2010

Lotsa letters

I was digging in some of my old stuff, when I found my shoe box of "PenPal Letters". Last time I sent or received a letter was 5 years ago...and then.. I don't know it just stopped. So I was browsing the letters, and looking at the nice things people wrote and sent,from China,Estonia,France,South Africa,Slovakia,Netherland, and then it hit me.. I missed writing penfriend letters!!
I chose to write to my longest correspondant, Taro, from HK,China. I didn't know if her address was still valid, I didn't want to e-mail, so that I won't spoil the surprise and it's been 5 yrs ,so I'm not sure if she'll even know me, or be interested in writting back, so I wrote to her and sent her the letter by the time of her birthday, merrier surprise. :)
3 weeks later, I received a reply! She was thrilled, said she'd stopped snailmail as well, but she did remember me, and that she'd love to resume writing again :) lots have happened in both our lives in those 5 yrs, and it was very interesting to catch up :) Also started with a new correspondant, HeidiLinde from Germany and it's going grt...
There's just something in writing letters and reading other people's handwriting with small doodlings around ,that makes it intimate and nice... no matter where technology takes us,jumping from phones to e-mails, to chatting, and next it's probably telepathy.. I still like the postman leaving me something to physically open and find little surprises within :D

6 comments:

  1. That's very lovely!

    Yes, I agree with you.. There's always something different about that! Sentimental, I'd say.

    The pleasure of little things is beyond everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omgosh! I can't believe writing letter by post still exists today haha :P Although I kinda miss writing letters - I remember before I moved to London, I wrote letters to my hometown friends!
    Considering it has been 5 years, if I was her, I would be stunned as well. That's very nice of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love writing letters!! I'm still waiting for a reply from my friend... I don't think she receives my letters though. And yes it's awesome seeing her writing and always her doodles, it takes me back to school when we made each other stupid little paper puppets not listening to Animal Farm in English class.

    Good times...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Joorz:Hey Joorz, yess, it's the little things that make life great :D
    And welcome to the Blog :D

    @ Eric: Yup it still does.Maybe you should write a letter to relatives back home.. it always makes somebody's day to receive a letter :D

    @ Johanli:why don't you contact your friend via e-mail to ensure that letters are being received? It sometimes take ppl alot of time to write back, so hopefully you'll eventually receive a reply.
    haha, school days, always the Best times :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh reminds me of them days where Penpals were all I had in life hahaha.

    I love writing letters, heck I still do from time to time as surprise. Glad you are back to snailmail ;)

    ReplyDelete